Re: [Groff] new groff_differences.man

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] new groff_differences.man
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:26:44 -0700

Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > troff.man has been split.  Differences to UNIX troff are now
> > documented in groff_differences.man.
>
> In the past was there an effort to stick to 14 character file names?
> There are only a few files that exceed this suggesting there was.

The 14-character filename limit disappeared from HP-UX about 1989 (I
think it was coincidental with the move to POSIX, but I don't recall
for sure -- it may have been related to a new AT&T release -perhaps
System V, Release 2).  That was over 12 years ago.  Should we concern
ourselves with supporting 12-year-old technology when MAXNAMLENGTH or
whatever it's called went to at least 256 characters many moons ago?

Clarke