Re: [Groff] newbie questions

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] newbie questions
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 09:03:27 +0000

> I'm new to the *nix world and would need a good starting point for my
> groff questions.

welcome..

> At first: I use Mac OS X / bsd subsystem having just the base install
> including groff version 1.15. From the groff webpages I know that
> there's a newer version out, but I'm not shure how to install that
> (shame on me).

yes, there have been quite a few changes since 1.15. It is definitely
worth down loading and installing the latest groff which you can find at
via two methods:

(shamelessly stolen from the latest groff/README)
method (i)
a CVS repository is now available, containing the current development
version of groff.  You can access it with the commands

  export CVSROOT=:pserver:address@hidden:/var/cvs
  cvs login
  cvs -z9 co groff

(if the prompt for the password appears, just press the enter key).
After a successful login you no longer need the first two commands; an
update of a checked out repository should be done with

  cvs -z9 update -dP

Please read the info pages of cvs for further details.

method (ii)
Alternatively, you can download snapshots (which are updated twice a
day) from

  ftp://ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff/devel/groff-current.tar.gz

If you're really new to unix you might prefer method (ii).

  tar xzvf groff-current.tar.gz
  cd groff
  ./configure
  make
  su
  make install

type groff -v
to check you're not still accessing 1.15 and have fun..

hope this helps

Gaius