Re: [Groff] troff(1) and info

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] troff(1) and info
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 19:40:42 +0100 (CET)

> BTW, groff is a roff documentation system, so why use the TeX info
> system?  Man pages are better IMHO, and the groff HTML interface is
> powerful enough to provide hyperlinked documentation.

groff is a GNU package.  All GNU packages should have documentation in
texinfo format.  Amen.

> > differences to Unix troff will stay in troff(1).
>
> So to use groff you always need the old-fashioned troff docu of the
> 1970's.  And you're fucqing-up the man page system, being the most
> famous application of groff.

Yes, I know.  Any improvements to groff.texinfo are welcome.

> It's a work of a few minutes to move the language parts of troff(1)
> into a new info section "Differences...".  By and by tis information
> can be spread into the other info sections.  Man section 1 is for
> command line stuff only.

What do you think about creating a (temporary) man page called
`groff_diffs' (or something better) which contains the differences?
troff(1) can then reference this man page.