Re: [Groff] troff(1) and info

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] troff(1) and info
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:20:28 +0100

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 08:54:27AM +0000, Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> To echo Ted, I hate info.  If I really have to look in there I use
> `less *.info*' coupled with less's features like `/*' to search through
> all files.
>
> It's the worst mainstream thing to come out of the otherwise excellent
> GNU camp IMHO.

GNU info is quite old. It was a revolutionary documentation (hyperlinks)
before html swept the markets.  It was very valuable.  html and xml learnt
a lot from info.

But it is outdated today because it doesn't provide enough interfaces to
more modern formats.  The same problem exists in groff - resist against
novelties.

Bernd