Re: [Groff] integer size

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] integer size
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 00:06:12 +0000

Werner writes:

> To be honest, I don't want such code in groff.  Maybe this decision
> limits the available platforms groff can be used on, but it makes life
> simpler.  Another argument: Until now, there was not a single
> complaint or bug report regarding this issue.

I agree, if I recall correctly rms stated that the GNU system would
run on 32 bit machines in the early 80's (predicting that >=32 bits
would become the norm). As time goes on this will become less and less
of an issue (even for the embedded market - although the thought of
squeezing groff onto a pic1684 raises a smile, no :-)

Gaius