Re: [Groff] Printing to Epson dot matrix

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] Printing to Epson dot matrix
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 12:55:40 +0200

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 12:59:16PM -0700, Marty Lucich wrote:
> Greetings and sorry if this is a FAQ.
>
> I have just started learning troff/groff because I noticed that it was
> originally developed to print on something called a CAT phototypesetter
> that had just a few fonts.  I thought it would be a good fit for my
> relatively simple needs.  I have an Epson EX-1000 dot matrix printer.
> This printer has draft, roman, and sans serif fonts.  It does
> superscript/subscript, condensed, pica, and elite printing; monospaced
> or proportional.
>
> It isn't clear to me how to get troff or groff to output the proper
> codes to make the Epson change fonts, or do bold, underlined, or
> italics.  Can someone please give me any pointers?

This isn't groff's task.  Your operating system should provide device
drivers for the different printers.  On UNIX systems (e.g. Linux or
FreeBSD), the Postscript device of groff is the general interface
for printing. The operating system's printer device driver will do
the actual translation into the printer's native language.

Bernd Warken