Re: [Groff] inconsistencies with color specification

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: Re: [Groff] inconsistencies with color specification
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:12:25 +0200

On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 10:00:42PM +0100, Ted Harding wrote:
> I was about to add support to Werner's RGB standpoint, but in
> view of Stewart's comment it might be best if groff supported
> both RGB and CMYK. At least this would be the least-hassle option.

The discussion suggests that the different color models are strictly
device dependent.  So gtroff cannot tell about the psychological effects
of CMYK for different devices.

So the best way would be to deal in gtroff (and the intermediate output)
with RGB only because that is easier for most users.  Then color splitting
will be done by each device according to its nature.  There should be
general library functions that help with the transition from  RGB to CMYK.
A README file in the source directory containing the devices would be
helpful as well.

Bernd Warken