Re: [Groff] SGR implementation in groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] SGR implementation in groff
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:54:07 +0200 (CEST)

> >   . SGR will be the default; grotty's current output for bold and
> >     underlining will be available if the `-c' switch is selected to
> >     suppress color output.
>
> If color output becomes the default there needs to be an *easy* way
> for system administrators and users to change the default to suppress
> color output.

My first idea was to add an environment variable TROFF_OPTIONS.  Then
you are able to do something like

  set TROFF_OPTIONS="-c -ww"

But I'm not sure whether this is secure (think of setting the -U
switch to activate unsafe mode).

Alternatively, I could provide an environment variable TROFF_NO_COLOR
-- this would be safe but rather dumb.

Comments, please.