[Groff] Re: Problem in png generation of groff-1.17.2

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Groff] Re: Problem in png generation of groff-1.17.2
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 11:46:58 +0100

>  . It seems that we finally need a mechanism to really disable .hy
>    and .nh while creating HTML output.  Almost two years ago this has
>    been discussed on the groff mailing list, and my proposal was to
>    implement a new request .mhy (master hyphenation).  If off,
>    settings of .nh and .hy take no effect.  [There were similar
>    suggestions to implement .mnf and .mna to control .nf and .na...]

>    Comments?  If there isn't any better suggestion, I'll do that.

yes go for it Werner..

> Oh, oh.  This manual page shows up a *lot* of bugs in grohtml (or in
> man's support for html).  Gaius, there is some work for you :-)

yes lots :-)

>  . If I have a list like
>
>       1.  This is a test.
>
>       2.  This is another test.
>
>    I get this in HTML which looks really, really ugly:
>
>       1.
>           This is a test.
>       2.
>           This is another test.

this is best solved by implementing html tables into grohtml.
Currently grohtml uses tables for limited indentation and .IP
providing that the current indent was at 0.  I think the cleanest
solution would be to introduce limited new html tags for the purpose
of making tbl tell grohtml how to construct html tables. These
tags can also be emitted from macro sets as well.

>   . Please look at the paragraph describing `"' (in section `Control
>    Characters').  Macros using `\(dq' are failing completely.  `\(rs'
>    doesn't work also as a macro parameter...

I'll fix this before implementing tables..

Gaius