Re: [Groff] Patch for two grohtml bug fixes..

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Patch for two grohtml bug fixes..
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 19:34:36 +0100

Hi Gaius,

> > Shouldn't `f' scale by 65535?
> >
> >           scale by   scale by
> >    f         65535      65536
> >    1        0xffff    0x10000
> >    0.5      0x7fff     0x8000
> >    0.125    0x1fff     0x2000
>
> Good analysis of the problem. I guess it depends upon whether 1f =
> 65535 or 1f = 65536; what do our moderators think?

One further thought I had since this morning is that 0-0xffff is more
typical in many applications outside troff since it uses the full range
of the bits allocated.

(Although 0-99 might sound a bit strange to our ears and 0-100 is
better, 0-99 doesn't seem quite so bad if you realise that 1-100 is the
most natural of all.)

Given that many external colour systems use 0 to 2^n-1 I think troff
should too to make it less `surprising' for the user when he wants, for
example, a certain RGB in the HTML output.

Ralph.