Re: [Groff] chop in pic?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] chop in pic?
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 09:41:09 +0200 (CEST)

> In the original pic, I believe that I remember that chop would end
> the arrows at the boundary of the ellipse but GNU pic has never done
> that.  Is this a known bug?  Is my memory/understanding incorrect?
> Thanks.

According to the original pic manual, it doesn't.  If I read the docs
correctly, `chop' applies to straight lines only (thus your arc won't
be chopped anyway), and it will use `circlerad' (0.25) for chopping if
no other values are given.

I could generalize pic's syntax of compass points with something like:

  deg = atan2(0, -1) / 180 ;
  move to last ellipse .angle deg * 217 ;

This would specify a point on the ellipse with an angle of 217 degrees
(in the mathematical sense, i.e. counter-clockwise from the right).

Comments?