Re: [Groff] macro question

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] macro question
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 18:38:12 +0100

Hi Gaius,

> I wonder whether anyone has a macro which will typeset the first word
> of a chapter so that the first letter of the first word is double the
> vertical spacing of the remainder of the word.  (There has to be a
> name for this, can anyone enlighten me?)

Dropped capitals?  They don't have to be just two lines high.

First stab is something like this;  you get the general idea.

    .de dropcap
    \\d\\d\c
    'ps 26
    \\$1\c
    'ti \\w'\\$1'u
    'ps 10
    ..
    .ps 10
    .vs 12
    .dropcap W hen
    I was younger, I could remember anything, whether it had happened
    or not; but my faculties are decaying now and soon I shall be so I
    cannot remember any but the things that never happened.  It is sad
    to go to pieces like this but we all have to do it.

Ralph.