Re: [Groff] surprise, surprise

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] surprise, surprise
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:28:16 +0100 (BST)

On 28-Aug-01 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> I have changed GNU troff in the CVS as follows:
>
>   . In compatible mode, stay with the current behaviour as shown
>     above.
>
>   . In non-compatible mode, the requests \f, \H, \R, \s, and \S are
>     now grouped as `transparent escapes'; starting a line with one of
>     them no longer preserves the beginning-of-line flag.

Hi Folks,

I don't have time to comment on the various overnight mails on this
at the moment (about to head off for soemwhere else), but briefly
on the above:

I am wondering if Werner's change is a leap too soon. It seems
to follow on from his very first "surprise, surprise" post, in
which he observed the "\fB.test\fP" behaviour, considered it
anomalous (by comparison with the text of the User's Manual),
and wished to change it. I'm not sure that we have yet completed
discussion on what "anomalous" means, at least in this context.

By the way, I agree with the comment that "transparent" above
really means "non-transparent"!

More later, and best wishes to all.
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>