Re: [Groff] surprise, surprise

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] surprise, surprise
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 20:51:57 +0200 (CEST)

> > abc
> > \fB.xx\fP
> > def
>
> It prints
>
>         abc hello world! def
>
> with abc in regular font and everything else in bold.
>
> This behavior does not surprise me, actually -- I expect that
> it is treating \fP as an argument to .xx
>
> Indeed, when I change the input to this:
>
>    .de xx
>    hello world! \\$1
>    ..
>    abc
>    \fB.xx\fP
>    def
>
> it prints "def" in regular font instead of bold.

I have changed GNU troff in the CVS as follows:

  . In compatible mode, stay with the current behaviour as shown
    above.

  . In non-compatible mode, the requests \f, \H, \R, \s, and \S are
    now grouped as `transparent escapes'; starting a line with one of
    them no longer preserves the beginning-of-line flag.

Note, however, that some escapes still can cause a request or macro
call:

  .de xxx
  Hallo!
  ..
  .ds yyy .xxx

  \*[yyy]

      => Hallo!

Please run your favourite documents with the new version and report
any strange things.