Re: [Groff] surprise, surprise

From: Andrew Koenig
Subject: Re: [Groff] surprise, surprise
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:25:30 -0400 (EDT)

>> .de xx
>> hello world!
>> ..
>> abc
>> \fB.xx\fP
>> def
>>
>> Quick answer: `abc' in plain, `hello world! def' in bold.  Note,
>> `def' is in bold too!

Werner> This is not only bizarre, this is pathologic :-)  Again, may I ask to
Werner> test this with AT&T troff?

It prints

        abc hello world! def

with abc in regular font and everything else in bold.

This behavior does not surprise me, actually -- I expect that
it is treating \fP as an argument to .xx

Indeed, when I change the input to this:

   .de xx
   hello world! \\$1
   ..
   abc
   \fB.xx\fP
   def

it prints "def" in regular font instead of bold.

--
Andrew Koenig, address@hidden, http://www.research.att.com/info/ark