[Groff] Re: colors

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: colors
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 21:06:23 +0200 (CEST)

> I'd favour introducing a new troff escape sequence for glyph
> colours.  Say \G[glyphcolour,pagecolour] and \G[glyphcolour] and \GP
> which returns to the previous colour combination.

This complements my suggestion.  But I would rather use two escapes,
say, \m and \M, to specify text and background colour independently.

So an improved version of the needed requests and escapes would be:

  .defcolor <color> <scheme> <parameter1> <parameter2> ...

     Define colour with name <color>.  <scheme> can be `gray', `cmyk',
     `rgb', `hsb'; <parameterX> should be either a real value or a hex
     value (starting with `#') between 0 and 255 or a hex value
     between 0 and 65535, starting with `##'.

  .color <color>
  \mc
  \m(co
  \m[color]

     Activate colour with name <color>.

  .color
  \mP
  \m[P]

     Return to previous colour.

  .pagecolor <color>
  \Mc
  \M(co
  \M[color]

     Set background to colour with name <color>.

  .pagecolor
  \MP
  \M[P]

     Return to previous background colour.

> We'd then need to add a command to the ditroff repertoire
> x G glyphcolour,pagecolour

Similarly, I prefer two commands.