Re: [Groff] Cyrillic (cp1251) support for groff -Tps

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Cyrillic (cp1251) support for groff -Tps
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 05:07:37 +0200 (CEST)

> I need to convert texts encoded in cp1251 to PostScript.  I have
> PostScript (Type1) fonts.

Sorry, but our Russian expert for groff is on vacation until
August 7th.

> Should I convert the PostScript font with afmtodit, or it is enough
> to list it in the devps/download file?  If I need to convert it, is
> the file devps/text.enc _the_ encoding file I need, or I need
> another?

Detailed instructions can be found in the man page of grops.

groff itself only sees font description files, not the real fonts
themselves.  So you have to convert the font with afmtodit and put the
created font description file into the devps font directory.  Then add
it to the `download' file if necessary.  It may be useful to define
font families similar to the ones available with the standard PS
fonts; please check the groff info files of version 1.17.2 (node `Font
Families') which already have a complete description of those
commands.

An encoding file can be specified with the `encoding' command within
the font description file; you should of course use something
different from text.enc which don't contain names for Cyrillic glyphs.