Re: [Groff] .cvsignore Files for CVS.

From: Ruslan Ermilov
Subject: Re: [Groff] .cvsignore Files for CVS.
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 16:10:03 +0300

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 06:31:59PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > My apologies.  My handwritten example was misleading.  None of the
> > complaints are about files matching *.o but instead about other output
> > files.
> >
> >     % cd font/devascii
> >     % cvs up
> >     ? R
> >     ? I
> >     ? B
> >     ? BI
> >     ? DESC
> >     %
>
> Aah, I see.  Since I use a separate directory for compilation I
> haven't noticed it.

BSD's PMake has a nice concept of an object directory, i.e.,
if an object directory exists, object files go into that
directory instead of the current directory (which could
be read-only, e.g. on CD-ROM media).  I haven't found
this feature in GNU Make.

FreeBSD, for example, has the build infrastructure for Groff
in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff, sources in /usr/src/contrib/groff,
and object files in /usr/obj/usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/groff.

Werner, if you add these .cvsignore files, please at least
exclude them from release tarballs.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Oracle Developer/DBA,
address@hidden          Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age