[Groff] asking for help

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] asking for help
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 13:10:46 +0200 (CEST)

I need some help in debugging the pre-grohtml

There is a #if 0 ... #else ...#endif code snippet in the file
src/preproc/html/pre-html.cc of the current snapshot, starting at line
1368.  The idea of the new code is to replace calls to mktemp() with
xtmpfile().  If I change the `#if 0' to `#if 1', I reliably get the
error

  pre-grohtml: dup: Bad file descriptortrying to replace fd=1
                    with -1 dup used -1

while doing a `make' in the doc subdirectory.  An analysis with strace
shows an `ERESTARTSYS' error during a call to write() -- according to
the file include/linux/errno.h, this error `should never be seen by
user programs'.

I'm working on a Linux 2.2.14 box, and I've indeed never seen this
error before.  To me the code in pre-html.cc looks perfectly legal,
but apparently there is something wrong.  It probably exhibits a bug
in the 2.2.15 Linux kernel which is frequent enough to find a better
solution.

Can someone who has experience with font handles have a look?  Maybe
there is an unfortunate mix of functions of the fopen() class with
functions related to open()?