Re: [Groff] groff(7) preprocessors

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff(7) preprocessors
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 12:28:37 +0100

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 at 10:37:13 +0200, Bernd Warken wrote:
> > At least man-db 2.3.16 to 2.3.18 don't know about the 's' preprocessor
> > specified in groff(7) - what is it? Or is it just a typo?
>
> The 's' preprocessor stands for soelim, which performs the inclusion
> of files from the .so and .mso requests.  At least mandb-2.3.10 does
> not have any problems with these inclusions.

Interesting. Indeed man-db doesn't have any problem with it, but only
because soelim is run unconditionally and 's' is ignored. :) Andries
Brouwer's man implementation is similar except that it will print an
error and then ignore the following 't' for tbl. I don't know what UNIX
browsers do.

Oh well, not a big deal. Just wondering.

Thanks,