Re: [Groff] Joseph Ossanna

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Joseph Ossanna
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 19:56:36 +0100

Hi Ted,

> Simply, it had become clear to me that in early UNIX, and especially
> in early troff, Ossanna was a very important person indeed.

> While (and I have no grumbles whatever about it) we have access to a
> lot of information about Hernighan and Ritchie

Hernighan, ha-ha.

There were other important ones.  Thompson of course, now off being a
flying instructor.  Doug McIlroy was another one who put in a lot of
ideas, including pipes.  But I agree it's hard to find any information
on Ossanna.

You could also consider contacting AQCOU's author, Peter H. Salus at
address@hidden  He'll probably have more information and material on
Ossanna than was published in the book and might also give you an
introduction to some of his sources.  Depending on the copyright of the
book's photo of Ossanna he may be able to provide that for a web page.

Lastly, I know some of the ACM publications mention Ossanna as a
reviewer.  Maybe a bibliography of anything he published would be good.

Ralph.