Re: [Groff] Splitting groff(7)

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Splitting groff(7)
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 21:48:17 -0400

Jon Snader wrote:

> I agree that the large man pages are hard to deal with on-line.
> One would think that the info system is the answer, but I must
> admit I have a hard time warming up to it (although tkinfo helps
> a lot).

Kdehelp is (IMO) the only way to read info.  It also does a nice
job with man pages, automatically making links to other manpages
and placing a table of contents at the bottom of the page.

> Since I use groff a lot (books, papers, and correspondence) I
> printed the man pages and keep them in a notebook with other
> typesetting information (Kernighan's paper, etc.) in case I need
> to study some aspect in depth.

I generally print selected manpages, especially the long ones that
I know I'll refer to often (bash).

> For a quick question, I run man
> and search for a keyword.  I can't easily do any of this if the
> information is spread over many separate man pages.  For example,
> I can *never* find anything in the perl man pages--I always end up
> turning to the camel book.

Which is why I bought it myself. :-)

        Larry