Re: [Groff] .IP quoting incompatibility

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] .IP quoting incompatibility
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 03:09:59 +0200 (CEST)

> UNIX outputs $" while GNU outputs $"" (in compatibility mode too).
> In any case, I don't know enough to say where the bug is: is it in
> pod2man or groff?

Sigh.  It's a not a bug in GNU troff, I think.  The AT&T troff manual
says:

  The argument separator is the space character (not tab), and
  arguments may be surrounded by double quotes to permit embedded
  space characters.  Pairs of double quotes may be embedded in
  double-quoted arguments to represent a single double-quote
  character.

So we have

It seems that UNIX troff doesn't behave like that.  I have no idea how
to handle this incompatibility.  Suggestions please.  Can someone
investigate the behaviour of `"' (in various combinations) with UNIX
troff?

For pod2man it probably helps to insert `\&' to force the correct
parsing behaviour.