Re: [Groff] How to view 'preprocessed' groff files

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to view 'preprocessed' groff files
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 21:52:57 +0100 (BST)

On 29-May-01 Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> On Tue, May 29, 2001 at 04:44:10PM +0200, Christoph Kaegi wrote:
>> Is it possible to look at the preprocessed files,
>> after all macros are replaced, but before troff
>> is run?
>>
>> I couldn't find an option in the groff(1) and troff(1)
>> man pages. The -Z option produces already troff-processed
>> output.
>>
> Try ``groff -V''.

All this does is to expand the groff command into its
component parts as a command line with pipes, e.g.

  groff -Tps -V -tpe -ms file.tr

generates the text output

  "pic file.tr | tbl | eqn -Tps | troff -ms -Tps | grops"

i.e. it displays the command that

  groff -Tps -tpe -ms file.tr

causes the system to execute. It doesn't execute any of it.

Man groff:

  -V     Print the pipeline on stdout instead of executing it.

This could be a useful aid for the part of Christoph's request
which can be solved (see my earlier mail).

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 284 7749
Date: 29-May-01                                       Time: 21:52:57