Re: [Groff] Re: A TeX like paragraph formatter: I managed it;try it !!!

From: Thomas Baruchel
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: A TeX like paragraph formatter: I managed it;try it !!! [bug fixed]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:08:06 +0200

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 08:07:17AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > > How sad that it doesn't work :-(
> > >
> > >       Standard disposition:               New disposition:
> > >         xx xx xx xx                         xx   xx  xx
> > >       xxx       xxx                       xx   xxx  xxx
> > >       xxxxxxxx xxxx                       xxxxxxxx xxxx
> > >       xxx xxx etc.                        xxx xxx etc.
> > >
> > > c) If somebody sees that, could he tell some informations
> > >    about his system ?
> >
> > I got this and think it is an improvement.
>
> Very embarassing: This is a bug in the current snapshot of groff.  The
> funny thing is that if I disable compatibility mode, I get exactly
> your result.  It is a really mysterious problem; I have absolutely no
> idea yet how compatibility mode can influence the output: The trap ^L
> isn't run where it should.
>
> I will debug this soon.
>
>     Werner

Thanks. The .cp request has been removed from my own file. I put it there,
bacause I wanted to be sure that I wouldn't use any no-nompatible ability.
I didn't think that it could change the way my macros work.
Since it seems that without the .cp request, the output is the same for
everybody, I think there are two thnigs to do:
  - try to understand why it works in .cp mode on two different computers
    and not in some others. Are you sure that your own .troffrc couldn't
    have effects on the behaviour of my macros ?
  - finish the low level code:
      - an interruption will increase the speed
      - a draft mode will still increase the speed when the formatting is not
        your present care;
      - clean the stderr messages, which aren't always coherent;
      - finish the man page (almost done);
Then I will either see if it is worth it writing some high level macros, or
if the best wouldn't be to see how my macros could be encapsulated in
the -ms or -mm ones.

--
        ,--._
     //   \    ( ,,  ,, ''   `)    Thomas Baruchel
   //        ~.   `._,,   ,'  <address@hidden>
                   \  \                 Brest
                  _/ _/