Re: [Groff] No-space mode in diversions

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] No-space mode in diversions
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 11:28:41 +0200 (CEST)

> > Nevertheless, looking into the source code of gtroff, it seems
> > that James Clark has intentionally implemented .ns for the
> > top-level diversion only (and this behaviour is already documented
> > in groff.texinfo).  You can always use `\!.ns' within a diversion
> > to induce the desired behaviour.  Does somebody know the reason
> > behind this way of implementation?
>
> The transparently embedded `.ns' doesn't work if the purpose of the
> diversion is to determine the height of some text block, or if a
> diversion trap is set, because then the trap might be sprung even if
> it shouldn't.

Thanks.  But this still doesn't explain why Clarke has purposely
implemented this for the top level diversion only...

> > Today morning I've checked in this change with `.q' as the
> > register name.  Right now I've changed this to `.ns' to avoid
> > possible conflicts with two-character register names of Unix
> > troff.
>
> Actually, I had purposely chosen `.q' since I thought this might
> even be useful in the original troff, and we should allow the guys
> at Bell Labs the opportunity to retrofit this into the real troff.
> Or is that a bit too presumptuous?

Three arguments against this idea:

  1. Unix troff is dead.
  2. Unix troff is dead.
  3. Unix troff is dead.

Your patch looks very nice.  I'll apply it (slightly modified).  In
case you want contribute more stuff to groff (which I would welcome a
lot!) I need a copyright assignment.