Re: [Groff] A4 paper size

From: Stewart C. Russell
Subject: Re: [Groff] A4 paper size
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 13:51:49 +0100

Tadziu Hoffmann wrote:

>   842745 units.
>
> Not that this precision is really required, considering the
> tolarances in paper production, misalignments in the printer,
> etc., but, hey, it doesn't cost anything to use the ``best''
> number.

But such precision isn't required, at least on PS devices. Adobe define
A4 to be 595 by 842 PS units, which neatly converts to a height of
842000 groff units.

It may even be unwelcome; 842745 groff units could conceivably be
converted by a dim RIP to be 843 PS units. As some printers are very
picky about choosing paper sizes for tray selection, you might get a
machine that'd consider this to be a custom page size, and it might
refuse to print.

 Stewart

(who has had enough of Quark lusers setting custom page sizes, and then
wondering why our HP 4000 series printers sit saying "Add Custom
Paper"...)