Re: [Groff] HTML output in Mozilla

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] HTML output in Mozilla
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 12:43:17 +0100

Werner writes:

>  . As already mentioned in a previous mail, the \O escape shold be
>    converted into a request, using additive flags.  This fits much
>    better into the groff syntax.

>      \O0      -> .imgctrl 1
>      \O1      -> .imgctrl 2
>      \O2      -> .imgctrl 4
>      \O3      -> .imgctrl 8
>      \O4      -> .imgctrl 16
>      \O5'foo' -> .imgctrl 'foo'

>      \O0\O1\O2 -> .imgctrl 7  etc.

yes this fits better but, maybe a lack of understanding on my part,
will it work when the user does this?

 .de finish-topic
 .  di
 .  ft 3
 .  TOPIC
 .  ft 1
 .  br
 ..
 .de TP
 .  di TOPIC
 .  HTML-TAG ".tl"
 .  it 1 finish-topic
 ..
 .TP
 My title with an $ 1 over x $ equation
 .LP

as eqn builds an inline equation by using a string register 10
and appending to it, I'm unclear how we could preserve this
and use the .imgctrl method. Although I do prefer the
clean .imgctrl interface to the \On method :-)

It must also work with

   .IP "Some $ 1 over z $ equation"
   an indented para etc etc

In particular we need to be mindful of \w'somestring'
where somestring is string 10 defined by eqn.

Basically is there a way of embedding the 'dot' commands
within a line in troff? Allowing this would solve all these
problems.. maybe I've missed this feature?

>    Again, documentation has to be added.

certainly

>  . Does the old grohtml still work?  What about removing it?

yes I think it is redundant now.

Thanks Gaius