[Groff] more on the eqn mystery

From: Andrew Koenig
Subject: [Groff] more on the eqn mystery
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:12:48 -0400 (EDT)

The problem is definitely some kind of incompatibility between
geqn and the version of -ms that I am using, because if I use
`groff -mgs' rather than `groff -ms', the diagnostics go away.

I saw the note in the PROBLEMS file about errors using the Unix
-ms macros, but I can't find any file named ms.eqn on my system,
so I'm not quite sure what to do about it.  Moreover, the patch
doesn't match my ms macros.

Anyway, I can work around the problem by using -mgs.  However,
if I do so, I find that the spaces in the output that the ~s
in the input are requesting do not appear.  In other words, the
output from using geqn is substantially more scrunched together
than the output from using eqn.