Re: [Groff] another groff/troff compatibility question

From: Andrew Koenig
Subject: Re: [Groff] another groff/troff compatibility question
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 17:37:58 -0400 (EDT)

Larry> I assume you mean special characters, not strings (strings would be
Larry> \*(``).  For what it's worth, they don't seem to be in my version of
Larry> troff which came from SysV/386, so it's not real new, but it's not
Larry> ancient, either.  So it sounds like they're recent additions -- groff's
Larry> \(lq and \(rq would appear to be synonymous.

They seem to have come in as part of PostScript support.
I do indeed mean that they are special characters.

It's nice to know that \(lq and \(rq are synonyms, but it
would be even nicer if a future version of groff could support
\(`` and \(''.  I am trying to get an existing document, which
includes \(`` and \('' characters in it, to work with both troff
and groff without changing the document itself.  I can change
the macros that it uses, but that won't help me here.