Re: [Groff] another groff/troff compatibility question

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] another groff/troff compatibility question
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 22:04:58 +0100

Hi Andrew,

> troff defines strings '' and `` as nicely kerned open and close
> double quotes, which one can obtain with \(`` and \('' .  Apparently
> groff doesn't.  Is there a reason, or is it just an oversight?

Does troff definately do that?  Looking at cstr54.ps I don't see a list
of pre-defined strings.  It does say in section 2

    Normally the input characters ', `, and - are printed as `, ', and
    - [typographical versions] respectively;  \', \`, and \- produce ',
    `, and -.  Non-existant characters are printed as a 1-em space.

So `` on input turns into nicely kerned open quotes.

I couldn't find the defined strings after a quick look though.

Is it possible the macro set you're using is defining them?

Ralph.