[Groff] Re: adding html tags to `-me'

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Groff] Re: adding html tags to `-me'
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 17:11:09 +0100

Hi Steve,

[ I hope you don't mind if I cross post this to the groff mailing list? ]

Steve Blinkhorn <address@hidden> writes:

> What's the current state of play?
the latest groff is under:
ftp://ftp.ffii.org/pub/groff/devel/groff-current.tar.gz

> Are there groff version dependencies I need to take into account?

yes, you need to run the latest grohtml with all the latest preprocesors:
pic, tbl, eqn etc.
In fact you really need to run them using the `groff' front end (using -t -p -s
-e
flags) as the internal execing of the new grohtml is very different.

> And is there any reason to suppose that using
> the me macros will cause me a lot of trouble (a bit of trouble I can
> cope with)?

ahh yes this will cause a problem, as the `-me' macros have not yet been
html-ized. Actually doing this work, in theory shouldn't take too long.
[Although as I've not examined `-me' in detail I could be way off base :-)]

Basically it requires that someone add html tags into the macro set at
appropriate
points. It may also mean occasionally doing something html specific.
Examples of how this might be done are in the `-ms' and `-man' macro sets.

At present I'm currently hunting bugs to do with png file creation (alignment
of images etc) in grohtml. Does anyone else want to look at the `-me' macro
set and any other macro sets and therefore speed up development?

Gaius