[Groff] devps/DESC, the font line, and too many fonts...

From: Stewart C. Russell
Subject: [Groff] devps/DESC, the font line, and too many fonts...
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:09:24 +0000

[Oh no! It's another question from those annoying HCP types!!]

We have a lot of Type1 fonts here, and we need to make more than 100
available to grops. I've installed a lot into the right directory using
afmtodit, and updated the download file, but I haven't touched the font
line in DESC.

Is this bad? The installation seems to work; I can do:

 .ft Univers-ExtraBlackObl
 Univers-ExtraBlackObl just happens to be extra black and oblique.

and it works as expected. But by not installing fonts in a numerical
position, will I make problems for myself later?

We will always be naming fonts explicitly, as far as I can tell. While
it would be nice to set up font families so we can do implicit style
changing, stuff like this gets complex when you're using Univers, of
which we have 33 styles...

Thanks,
 Stewart

[apologies for yesterday's rather odd message; our incoming mail pipe
was a bit stuck, and I didn't see Ted's reply until after I'd posted
mine.]