Re: [Groff] Widow control

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Widow control
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 21:35:44 +0100 (CET)

> >If you compile groff with -DWIDOW_CONTROL, you'll get
> >two new requests `wdc'(activate widow control) and `fpl'
> >(flush pending lines) which prohibits widows.
>
> I gave it a shot last night on my home & work systems.  On both
> systems, enabling wdc (on the same input file) prevented widow lines
> at the top of the page all right, but .ne seemed to have no effect
> on four- and five-line paragraphs that straddled the page. Most of
> them would print a single line at the bottom of the page & send the
> rest to the next page.  Using .ne 2, .ne 3, and even .ne 4 made no
> difference.

As told you before, I've neither tested the code nor taken a closer
look.  Maybe it is not completely implemented, or maybe you have to do
some tricks to get the desired behaviour...

> Just testing. This was with 1.16.1; I'll try the snapshot next.

Regarding widow stuff, nothing has changed, but a lot of things are
new, and which might be useful to groff users -- just read the NEWS
file.