Re: [Groff] Strange gxditview behavior

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Strange gxditview behavior
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 22:08:30 -0500

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> >What about
>> >
>> >  groff -stp -mm -Tps -X somefile.mm
>>
>> Same results as groff -stp -mm -X somefile i.e. the output gets
>> trashed pretty badly.
>
>Maybe you can provide a small example for further investigation?

I didn't have to go far -- the pic.ms file in groff/doc exhibits
this problem on my system. It has something to do with tables;
things get messed up when gxditview encounters the tables on
pages 5, 18, and 32. In each case, gxditview spits out five
blank pages before printing the table. In the latter two cases,
it attempts to print the table heading on its own page, in roughly
the right place, but with the text garbled beyond use. Finally,
it prints the table on a page by itself. The document is numbered
as if these pages don't exist.

The same input, converted to PostScript and viewed with ghostview,
is perfect.

I tried to reproduce the problem with a small test file of my
own making -- I copied one of the tables from pic.ms and
surrounded it with text -- but was not able to get it to do more
than spit out a spurious "test.ms" to the left of the table.

Again, this is a PPC system, if that makes a difference.

        Larry