Re: [Groff] choosing paper tray

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] choosing paper tray
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 15:07:40 +0000

Hi Werner,

> > > My knowledge of PS is quite limited -- if the method of choosing
> > > a paper tray is standarized it should be not to difficult to add
> > > a proper option to grops.  Can someone send a (small) sample PS
> > > code to the list?
> >
> > Is it better to leave this to the printing system, like CUPS,
> > rather than embed it in every PostScript producing program?
>
> Well, I'm using good old lpr

Me too!

> so it would be a nice thing to have a `-t x' option (for selecting
> the paper tray) for grops in addition to `-m', forcing manual feed.

Yes, but really that should be an option to lpr shouldn't it.  Except
lpr doesn't allow that kind of thing resulting in one print queue for
every combination of raster/printer settings you need.

    lp0-(bw|col)-(draft|lq|photo)-(a4tray|envtray)

:-)

I'm just resigned to accepting that the lpr system can't cope and I
either twiddle the PostScript personally with my own script that I know
works for *my* printer or I should upgrade to a modern system like
CUPS.

> Interpreting which integer value of the proposed `-t' option does
> what is beyond the scope of grops, I think.

Yep.  Interleaf comes with a whole bunch of PDF files and groks them
for this kind of thing.  Having every application doing that is
non-sensical.  It belongs in lpr or its replacement.

Cheers,

Ralph.