Re: [Groff] bug in GNU troff?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] bug in GNU troff?
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:46:55 +0000

Hi Werner,

> > Identical.  It is, perhaps, illustrative to consider a slightly
> > modified example:
>
> Does this behaviour make sense?  I would like to make this work as
> expected (if not in compatibility mode).

See my other email.  It is working as expected, and documented.  That's
why groff matches troff.

> Objections?  Do you know any package which relies on this strange
> feature?

That doesn't matter.  groff was meant to be "a complete, open
source implementation of the standard Unix typesetting system" -- James
Clark.

There's a danger of trying to coerce groff to what you think troff
should have been.

Ralph.