Re: [Groff] groff v1.16.1

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff v1.16.1
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:10:58 +0000

Manas Laha writes:

> thanks for your response! as a longtime groff user, i really appreciate
> your effort to have groff produce html. i do all of my text processing
> -- and that includes lots of equations and figures -- in groff and
> lately i have become interested in getting some of it on the web. so, i
> really am excited by the possibility of groff producing html.

I also confess to only using groff (and a tiny bit of texinfo), so I
too have a vested interest in making groff produce reasonable html
:-).  I also confess to really liking groff.  I have many lecture
notes which need to be put on the web and a couple of papers etc. Many
of my documents can be found on: floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk most of
which contain figures produced via xfig -> pic and also a few
equations.  All the pictures and tables I've used come out fine as
images, the equations are also ok ish, but then I don't use eqn/pic
macros. Not that I'm complacent about the result - it can be improved
and there are real limitations with -Thtml.

> i haven't looked at the grohtml code yet but if, having looked at it, i
> have some questions about how some parts work, would it be all right if
> i asked you?

sure yes, fire away :-). I'm working on the -Thtml2 which is conceptually
cleaner, but it is not yet producing output as good as -Thtml, however it
should make far less mistakes when finished. You're welcome to join the
html2 development team if you wish - double the numbers :-)
[must be prepared to sign the various GNU copyright forms though]

all the best,

Gaius