Re: [Groff] Preprocessor

From: Roger Deschner
Subject: Re: [Groff] Preprocessor
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 21:54:55 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 6 Nov 2000, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> I wrote a preprocessor for the coming Groff.  This converts
>> standard input or a file from specified encoding to UTF-8.
>
>Very nice!  I'll put it into the CVS (please send me the code
>privately again -- I believe that some tabs have been incorrectly
>converted to spaces, causing wrong indentation).  Which name of the
>preprocessor do you suggest?
>
>> Non-internationalized version supports the following encodings as input:
>>  - latin1 (aka ISO-8859-1)
>>  - ebcdic
>>  - utf-8 (i.e. no conversion)
>
>Please note that there is more than one EBCDIC encoding.  I suggest
>that you stay with `cp1047' as the default.

I just want to second that. There are literally dozens of versions of
EBCDIC. Those of us who deal with EBCDIC computers have embraced cp1047
as the single, new standard. People who run on EBCDIC systems have tools
for converting to or from cp1047, if they need to. Unfortunately, UNIX
tools such as "dd conv=ascii" were written before cp1047, and use EBCDIC
codings that are not standard, so support for cp1047 in your
preprocessor would be a good thing.

Roger Deschner      University of Illinois at Chicago     address@hidden