RE: [Groff] Question on Using pic for Entity Relationship Diagra

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Question on Using pic for Entity Relationship Diagra
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 08:38:30 -0000 (GMT)

Hi Ralph,

On 02-Nov-00 Ralph Corderoy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The pic input is below.  I want to position the USERPREFS entity
> relative to SECURITY's position.  But it seems that En_security isn't
> where I think it should be, hence the XXX and crossed lines in the
> middle of nowhere.
>
> What am I missing?

I think the immediate answer to your problem is that you are using
a reference to the named block En_security inside another named
block En_userprefs. If you remove the lines

  En_userprefs: [

and

  ]

surrounding that block then it comes out as (I think) you want it.
As to whether this behaviour is in order, I'm not sure. The 'pic'
manual is ambiguous about this (scope of block names) according to
my reading, though my intuitive expectation is that it should work
as you intended. I will have to think a bit about this one.

POssibly also you are being a bit lavish with block labels and,
in particular, you have used the label "L:" several times
for different things; I think only the most recent will apply
(this may be what you want, of course).

Ted.