Re: [Groff] Re: groff: radical re-implementation

From: Tomohiro KUBOTA
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: groff: radical re-implementation
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2000 01:57:43 +0900

Hi,

At Fri, 20 Oct 2000 14:45:51 +0200 (CEST),
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> First of all:  We both mean the same, and we agree how to handle the
> problem in groff.  I'm only arguing about technical terms.
>
> Another try.
>
> Consider a PostScript font with its encoding vector.  You have a
> single glyph set which can map to multiple encodings.  My intention is
> to use the terms `set' and `encoding' in a consistent way -- I want to
> avoid that we have to use other words if we are talking about glyphs
> instead of characters.

I understand I am confused.  I have to confirm a few points:

1. Your 'charset' and 'encoding' are for troff or for preprocessor?
   I thought both of them are for preprocessor.  The preprocessor
   figures out the way to convert the input to UTF-8 from the information.
2. Which will the pre/postprocessors handle, characters or glyphs?
   Or, is it meaningless to distinguish the object for pre/post-
   processors is character or glyph? (since they handle concrete
   encodings such as Latin-1 and UTF-8.  If the implementation
   is not affected, it will be meaningless to think about whether
   the Latin-1, UTF-8, and so on are codes for character or glyph.)
3. Your 'charset' is for glyph and 'encoding' is for character?
   I thought both of them are for character, since I thought both
   of them are for preprocessor.
4. I though we were discussing on (tags in roff souce for) preprocessor.
   Is that right?

Is this chart right (for tty)?

   roff source in any encoding like '\(co'     (character)

          |  preprocessor
   UTF-8 stream like u+00a9                    (character)

          |  troff
   glyph expression like 'co'                  (glyph)

          |  troff (continuing)
   UTF-8 stream like u+00a9 or '(C)'           (character)

          |  postprocessor
   formatted text in any encoding              (character)

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <address@hidden>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/