Re: [Groff] new string comparison?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] new string comparison?
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:41:10 +0100

Hi,

> would it make sense to add a new condition to the `if' request (and
> its siblings) to compare strings literally?  Something like
>
>   .ds xxx aaa
>   .ds yyy aaa
>   .
>   .if s "\*[xxx]"\*[yyy]" \
>   .  tm true
>
> The strings won't be processed, just expanded (in copy-mode).  For
> most macro packages, `processing' of strings isn't necessary;
> additionally, comparing strings literally would be (much?) faster.

My 2p's worth;  I'd be wary of adding yet another thing, especially one
that is so similar to something that is already there.  I've never
found the current comparision wanting and unless the speed increase
helps an awful lot with slow documents I don't think it's worth the
bloat.  Not bloat so much in the code sense, but in people having to
know yet another thing.

How often has it been asked for on the mailing list?  I'm a new
arrival.

Ralph.