Re: [Groff] nop request

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] nop request
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 03:01:49 +0200 (CEST)

> > > I'm not proposing disallowing it.  I'm saying that people that
> > > know enough to do this can probably cope with tmac.trace
> > > assuming it is still backslash.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't understand what you want to say.  tmac.trace will
> > fail if the backslash character (for whatever reasons) is not the
> > escape character.  And there is no way to fix that without
> > additional commands.
>
> Yes, but a knowledgable user who's changing escape character will
> also be capable of finding some way of using tmac.trace or a
> modified copy of it.

Again: tmac.trace will *never* work without an additional command if
the escape character is disabled!  A `knowledgable user' would write a
bug report to the groff team, requesting a command so that tmac.trace
works in this situation also.

But maybe I'm misunderstanding you and you want to say something
different.

> > I'll improve the documentation of mdoc also...
>
> Never sufficiently.

:-)  I fully agree.