Re: [Groff] Does someone have RTF2troff for Linux/pentium/etc.

From: baruchel
Subject: Re: [Groff] Does someone have RTF2troff for Linux/pentium/etc.
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:06:44 +0200

Brest, le jeudi 17 août
On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 08:21:08PM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I really need a converter from Windows toys to Linux utils for my
> > work.  I heard about RTF2troff, and I enjoyed it.
>
> Can you please give us pointers where I can find this stuff?  I want
> to add it to the MORE.STUFF file.

Here are some lines of the README file of the distribution (the ftp
adress is inside)

> > RTF Tools, Release 1.10
> > 6 April 1994        Paul DuBois     address@hidden

> > The translators included in the distribution are listed below.  Most of
> > them don't do anything interesting.

> > rtf2null    RTF -> nothing
> > rtf2text    RTF -> plain text
> > rtf2troff   RTF -> troff
> > rtfwc               "translates" RTF into character, word and paragraph
> > count
> > rtfdiag             RTF diagnostic program, used mainly to test RTF reader
> > rtfskel             RTF translator skeleton, for use in building new
> > translators

> > Each translator uses a tool which reads an RTF input stream and passes
> > pieces of it to a writer.

> > The main documentation is written in troff and is included only with
> > the UNIX distribution.  If you want the troff source, you'll need to
> > get that distribution.  For PostScript or RTF versions of the
> > documents, look in the Documents and ManPages directories under
> > /pub/RTF on ftp.primate.wisc.edu.
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This seems qite interesting:
> > Documentation in troff format should be formatted with the -ms macros
> > for *.ms files and -man for *.man files.

Thanks if someone manages to compile it. The main trouble is for me:
using imake (a nightmare); with all my very efforts, I couldn't compile
anything ;-)

What I fear:
some features like tables aren't probably included in this tool (maybe I'm
wrong ?). If it is the case, I will probably write one day by myself a
rtf2ms tool. Will people be interested by it ?

--
   .~.   Thomas Baruchel
   /V\   address@hidden