Re: [Groff] pic solid attribute

From: Jon Snader
Subject: Re: [Groff] pic solid attribute
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 06:37:19 -0400

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 01:23:22PM +0100, Ted Harding wrote:
> On 22-Jul-00 Leonard Stiles wrote:
> > Is it just me or does gpic not support the "solid" attribute?
> > For example, this code produces an error (using groff 1.16):
> >
> > .PS
> > circle solid
> > .PE
> >
> > Eric Raymond's paper about gpic says something about solid not being
> > supported yet, but it isn't mentioned in the TODO of groff 1.16 - has
> > it just been forgotten?
>
> Can we have some backgrouns on this? I.e. what is "solid" supposed
> to do? The 1991 PIC User Manual (Kernighan, Bell docs #116) gives
> "solid" as an attribute in its "Reference Manual" Appendix, but it
> is not mentioned anywhere else.
>
> Maybe there is more info in something like the DWB documentation
> (which I don't have).
>
> Meanwhile, the source code of groff pic indicates that (internally)
> "solid" is used for "solid lines" (as opposed to dashed or dotted)
> which is the default for lines anyway unless explcitily given the
> "dashed" or "dotted" attribute.
>
> However, lex.cc for groff pic does not have "solid" in its list of
> keywords, so it would not be recognised.

I checked the picl.l file in the AT&T version of pic from the CSRG
4.4BSD release and it just accepts but ignores the attribute ``solid.''
A comment in the UNDOC file (a sort of CHANGES log) dated May 85 says
that ``solid'' is now a valid (but uninteresting) attribute.  It appears
that it was added to complete the list of valid line attributes (dashed,
dotted).

Jon Snader