Re: [Groff] Page classes in groff output to support reordering o

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] Page classes in groff output to support reordering o
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:51:06 -0400 (EDT)

T. Kurt Bond writes:

> It might be useful if gtroff had a predefined read-only number
> register, say \n[.pp] (for physical page), that recorded the physical
> page number independent of what \n% had.  This number would start at 1
> and be increased by 1 at the start of each new page, regardless of
> what the user has requested with .bp or .pn.  The "p" command in
> gtroff output could be followed by something like
>
>     x X page: 1 i 3
>
> where "1" is the page number from \n%, "i" is the page number
> according to the current current format for % requested by .af, and
> "3" is the physical page of the document.

I think something along these lines is definitely needed, but I want to
caution against tying it to \n% too strongly -- many macro packages use
their own register(s) and/or string(s) for the page number and
completely ignore \n%, so you need a mechanism that the macro package
can use to communicate the information rather than building something in
to groff that isn't modifiable.

-Larry Jones

I don't think math is a science, I think it's a religion. -- Calvin