Re: [Groff] I'm building groff docs

From: Larry McVoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] I'm building groff docs
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 15:34:37 -0700

On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 10:55:04AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > making changes so that they format under groff, add information
> > about what groff does that the originals didn't do,
>
> BTW, I'm working on a groff texinfo manual which tries to cover every
> aspect of groff...

That seems sort of weird to me - why wouldn't you do groff docs in groff?
I don't get it.  But whatever, to each their own.

> > add in a collection of ``stupid groff tricks'' (which aren't so
> > stupid, examples of color support, how to escape to postscript,
> > examples of image inclusion, etc),
>
> Someone has posted a FAQ here which could be extended with your ideas.

Cool.  I don't care who does it as long as there is a collection of useful
tips sitting around.  I'll maintain it unless someone else steps forward.
If you have tricks you think are cool, send them to me in the form of
groff source and a Makefile.

> > So far, I have everything under version control and printing under
> > groff.  I can make that repository available if people like.
>
> Is BitKeeper free software and does it allow anonymous access?

Yes and yes.  It has more restrictions than typical free software - you have
to publicly log your changelog messages (see http://www.openlogging.org
for examples) and you can't break the logging feature, but other than
that it is basically the same as GPLed software.  You get the source,
you can hack it, and you can redistribute it.  Whoops, I forgot, you
also have to pass the regression tests - we have 12,000 lines of shell
scripts that we have built up over the last 2-3 years to test it and we
aren't really interested in having those bugs come back.

As to anonymous access, sure.  Suppose I stuck the groff stuff on port 10000.
Then all you do to get it, assuming you have BitKeeper, is

        bk clone bk://bitmover.com:10000 troff-docs

> If not, would it be possible to use CVS instead?

Sorry, I'd rather not.  What I do for a day job is BitKeeper, it's a much
better answer than CVS.  I wouldn't go back to CVS for love or money.

> Thanks a lot for your efforts!

My pleasure!  It really is.  I love this stuff (sick, I know, but there it is).
--
---
Larry McVoy                address@hidden           http://www.bitmover.com/lm