Re: [Groff] refer macros

From: Nicola Bernardini
Subject: Re: [Groff] refer macros
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:20:29 +0200 (CEST)

Hello Ted, hello all,

Yesterday, address@hidden schrieb:

[snip]
> - UNIX 'refer' does not honour multiple %E fields ("editor"), while
>   'bib' allows multiple editors like multiple authors. I'm not sure
>   about how groff 'refer' behaves in this respect: the man page hints
>   that it might allow multiple %Es, but I never tried it.

It does. I tried it.

> Most of these differences are quite minor, and the only cases which
> could cause trouble in moving from 'refer' to 'bib' are %L and %Q,
>
> However, the manner of planting citations in the text is quite different.
>
> So I'm a bit puzzled by "it requires (from what I can see) a complete
> re-organization of the bibliographic database" (unless, of course,
> you are referring to the citations).

Maybe I was unclear. The format is the same, but from what I can
see the way the database is different (and more rational): basically,
the database is built upon multiple data tables (publications, journals,
etc. etc.); I might be wrong - but it requires some re-organization.
In the end, you use less re-writing, which is better, but in the beginning
it requres more work. I will look bib in more depth, but now I have to
finish my paper... :) Thanks again Ted!

Nicola

|Nicola Bernardini     |
|E-mail: address@hidden |