Re: [Groff] .TC in the groff mm macros

From: Bernd Salbrechter
Subject: Re: [Groff] .TC in the groff mm macros
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 22:34:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000 08:41:14 -0400 Pragnesh Sampat <address@hidden> wrote:

> Has anyone used the .TC command and used to 2 groff passes to get the Table Of
> Contents in the right place in the postscript output?  The groff_mm man mage
> mentions this, but I have not tried it yet.  I am using a .TC at the end and
> get a decent contents page at the end.  Thanks,
>
> -Pragnesh

Sorry I didn't have used the mm macros, but have looked at the manpage
and the code. From what I read there the two passes only used for
cross-references and not for reordering the table of content pages.

Dose taking the table of content pages from the end of the printout and
insert it after the cover page not working for you? Or do you imposition
for printing on better devices than a Hp-Laserjet (i.e. a Linotronic :-)?
If the later, you will have PostScript output, where you can use pstools
to reorder the pages, but that require a separate page numbering of the
front matter (Table of Content).

I saw an instruction for something in "The Groff and Friends HOWTODO"
(sorry didn't have an exact reference, but I think I saw it on the
"groff-maillist"). If you want (must, because of page numbering) to go
this line you will have a happy time hacking the macros ;-).

Hope that helps
Bernd

PS.: Thanks for that question, it points me to some problems, with
imposition. I work on some tools for that.  If you are interest in
details using the the pstools I can send you a more detailed
description.