[Groff] tmac renaming

From: Bernd Warken
Subject: [Groff] tmac renaming
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 22:08:36 +0100

The naming of some macro packages is ridiculous, the ones whose first
letter is (or should be) m.  This includes

tmac.an tmac.andoc tmac.arkup tmac.doc tmac.e tmac.s (... ?)
tmac.m tmac.mse

This curious habit originates from very old UNIX days, where option
arguments were required to immediately follow it soption letter without
an intervening space.  So it was funny to write "troff -man" instead of
"troff -mman".

But after having admired the eye-catching beauty of this monster-hack
for some decades I think it's time to put it to some serious end, before
it will go on blossoming to reach unmatched heights such as the
stupendous "tmac.arkup".  (How about "tmac.ess", "tmac.uck",
"tmac.iaow", or "tmac.om"?)

In order to remain compatible, I propose to
1) rename the above mentioned tmacs by inserting the robbed m
2) create symlinks to the old names

Then it will possible to call the man macro package using "-m man",
"-man", "-m an", or "-mman".

The following script does the trick:

 function fix_tmac {
   mv tmac.$1 tmac.m$1                # insert m into tmac name
   eval /bin/ln -s tmac.$1 tmac.m$1   # supply old handling
 }
 cd $GROFF_SOURE/tmac
 for p in an andoc arkup doc e s
   do fix_tmac $p; done
 cd $GROFF_SOURCE/contrib/mm
 for p in m mse
   do fix_tmac $p; done

Hard links or copies could be better for some primitive OSes.  (Please
note that I didn't say "primitive", I just write it down.  If you don't
like the term, replace it by "POSIX-by-bribing-only" or
"not-to-pay-means-jail" ;).

The final step to adjust the makefiles and the doqs is left as an
exercise ;-)

Bernd Warken <address@hidden>

Down with the communist establishment - free markets for all!